Hey MMT Fam! I’m sorry this list is late this week. Full disclosure: I’m currently struggling a bit. I’ve been overwhelmed with work, including a few writing assignments, and to be honest this pandemic is just tiring! On top of that, in the last two weeks I’ve learned of the deaths of three people I know and it’s just been a lot to bear.
That being said, I am taking measures to keep myself motivated and active. I pray that you all are doing well, are safe and still managing this pandemic to the best of your ability.
To assist in that last area, here’s another list of recommendations featuring TV, online and streaming suggestions that you and/or the family can enjoy from home, or at a reasonable social-distance. And I’m still sharing events and cool posts on Instagram and/or the MMT Facebook page throughout the week, so hit those hyperlinks, give me a follow, and don’t forget to share the wealth with others.
- The BWFN Short Film Festival will take place virtually on Saturday, October 10, 2020 in partnership with black-owned streaming service KweliTV. For 24 hours, viewers will be able to watch the film selections online at Kweli.tv or through streaming devices and smart TVs. Tickets are $15 to access the virtual festival can be purchased here.
- Our friends at the Philadelphia Film Society are continuing virtual streaming offerings of newly released and recommended films, including titles like “12 Hour Shift,” the re-release of 2018’s “RBG,” “The Disrupted,” “Jimmy Carter: Rock & Roll President,” and “I Am Woman.” You can get additional information about all these events and more at the PFS website here.
- PFS is also continuing to offer drive-in movie options at the Philadelphia Naval Yard. Current selections include Tenet with John David Washington, the Spike Lee classic School Daze and the upcoming release The Forty Year Old Version. Click the hyperlinks for each respective film’s info and click here to see the full line-up through October 21.
- The African American Museum of Philadelphia (AAMP) is having a virtual event on Thursday, October 8 from 6 to 7:30pm ET entitled Remember The Ladies: A Conversation about Women’s Suffrage and Race, that will feature a dialogue with “Remember the Ladies” author Angela Dodson. Dodson will be joined in conversation by her husband Michael I. Days, Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion of the Philadelphia Media Network and author of “Obama’s Legacy: What He Accomplished as President.” You can get additional info and register for the FREE event here.
- Entertainment Cruise Productions has announced the new original streaming concert series, Saturday Night with Marcus Miller & Friends , which will feature 90 minutes of great music, comedy and conversation streamed directly to you in HD picture and sound – in the convenience of your own home! The series kicks of at 10 p.m. ET on October 10 with the iconic 10-time Grammy Award winner George Benson as Marcus’s special guest, with organist Joey DeFrancesco and keyboardist Patrice Rushen joining the Saturday Night Band as featured guests. Comedian Alonzo Bodden will be there to set the stage as only he can. You can watch the event on mobile, desktop computer, tablet or stream to your Smart TV. Advance tickets are only $26.50 through 10/7 and will give access to the show On-Demand for 36 hours after it premieres. You can check out the trailer below and get additional details, including the weekly schedule and ticket information, at www.SaturdayNightWithMarcusMiller.com.
That’s all for now family. Until next thought, Thomasena