Happy Friday MMT Fam! Here’s another week’s worth of recommendations for various streaming, TV, and online happenings that you and/or the family can enjoy from home. A lot of great things are still being shared throughout the week on the MMT Facebook page, so you can check there as well for posts of things I may immediately come across – and please give the page a like and share if you yet haven’t! 😉
- In honor of the 28th anniversary of the L.A. uprisings, the BlackStar Film Festival is showing special screenings of A LOVE SONG FOR LATASHA this weekend. The film will be streamed three times consecutively over the course of an hour, beginning at the following times:
- Friday, May 1 – 7:00pm ET / 4 pm PT
- Saturday, May 2 – 7:00pm ET / 4 pm PT
- Sunday, May 3 – 4:00pm ET / 1 pm PT with a live conversation following at 5pm ET between Sophia Nahli Allison, Insecure producer Deniese Davis, artist Lynnée Denise, Surviving R. Kelly executive producer dream hampton, and scholar Marcus Anthony Hunter, on the links between visual art, collective memory, and Black liberation. The live streams will all be accessible on BlackStar’s Facebook page here.
- Our friends at the Philadelphia Film Society are doing virtual watch parties of some of our favorite throwback films AND they challenging us with QUIZZO! The series kicks off tonight at 7:30 pm EST with CAN’T HARDLY WAIT. The Quizzo portion will begin at 7:30pm on Discord App. You can open the Discord App on either your Desktop, Laptop, iPad, or Smartphone. Follow this link (https://discord.gg/H2qwHYe) to the PFS online chatroom to join in. You may need to register a name or email to login and play along. Then head over to Netflix.com and search CAN’T HARDLY WAIT (1998). Be sure to start the film exactly at 8pm to watch along. You need a Netflix account or login info to participate, or you can rent the movie via iTunes or Amazon Video. Finally, check Discord around 9:30pm for the answers to Quizzo and the reveal of the winner, who will receive a copy of WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE’S THE TAMING OF THE CLUELESS by Ian Doescher.
- Did you know that you can get free live TV each day from 5pm to 12am? I’m not kidding, Sling TV has a new program called Happy Hour Across America that lets you watch more than 50 cable channels and on-demand movies and TV shows for free, with no credit card requirements! Click here to go the official website and get additional details.
- If British and International TV is your cup of tea, and you’re seeking acclaimed mysteries, alluring dramas and witty comedies, then Acorn TV may be the streaming app you’ve been seeking! Acorn TV is the exclusive U.S. streaming home for many highly-in-demand series, including last year’s #1 drama on ITV (Manhunt, starring Doc Martin’s Martin Clunes), the most recent, highly-rated season 5 of BBC’s top drama in 2019 (Line of Duty), as well as the complete series of the award-winning British WWII drama Foyle’s War. There’s a free 7-day trial available, however they’re offering MMT readers an extended 30-day trial with code: FREE30. Go to signup.acorn.tv to sign up! After your free trial, Acorn TV is just $5.99/month or $59.99/year. Follow the channel on Facebook OfficialAcornTV or Twitter @AcornTV.
- And lastly, our friends at the Wizard World Virtual Experience have released additional schedule info for May as follows: the first event, featuring A Bronx Tale and The Usual Suspects star Chazz Palminteri, will take place on Sunday, May 3 at 3 pm ET / noon PT. The next, with “Happy Days” and “Barry” standout Henry Winkler, is set for Monday, May 4, at 3 pm ET / noon PT. Then, it’s “Outlander” seasons three through five cast members Duncan Lacroix, Richard Rankin, John Bell, Ed Speleers, Colin McFarlane, Kyle Rees and Tim Downie on Tuesday, May 5, at 1 pm ET / 10 am PT. Next up, “Family Ties” parents Michael Gross and Meredith Baxter take the virtual stage on Thursday, May 7, at 3 pm ET / noon PT. Finally, Goblin Slayer voice actors Brad Hawkins, Hayden Daviau, Mallorie Rodak and Amanda Gish will be featured on Saturday, May 9 at 3 pm ET / noon PT. The live Q&A panels are FREE for fans to view (on Twitch, Facebook, YouTube) and submit questions in text chat. Separately fans may purchase live video chat sessions, recorded videos and autographs. During each session, the celebrities will participate in a free live moderated video Q&A, followed by one-on-one video chats, recorded videos and autographs that are available to purchase. Fans can interact with Wizard Entertainment at www.wizardworld.com and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and other social media services. The 2020 Wizard World convention schedule is available at: http://www.wizardworld.com/comiccon.
That’s it for now Family. Stay safe and Be encouraged!
Until next thought, Thomasena
Categories: Scattered Thoughts