Hey MMT Fam! Here is week 21’s virtual list featuring TV, online and streaming suggestions that you and/or the family can enjoy from home, or at a reasonable social-distance. I’m still sharing events and cool posts on Instagram and/or the MMT Facebook page throughout the week, so hit those hyperlinks, give me a follow, and don’t forget to share the wealth with others!
- Our friends at the Philadelphia Film Society are continuing virtual streaming offerings of newly released and recommended films, including titles like “The 24th” which is based on the true story of the all-black Twenty-Fourth United States Infantry Regiment and the Houston Riot of 1917 (side note: the anniversary of that riot is today August 23), “Creem: Amerian’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll Magazine,” and “The Prey.” PFS is also highly recommending its “Bunk Mate” pick of the week BUT I’M A CHEERLEADER. – the 2000 film starring Natasha Lyonne (Orange Is The New Black) as a high school cheerleader sent to gay conversion camp. You can click HERE to check out all the places you can rent or buy “But I’m a Cheerleader” and get additional information about all these events and more at the PFS website here. In addition, PFS also has a great socially-distanced “drive-in” option now available at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Click here to get film selection/showtime information and purchase tickets.
- The Philadelphia Film Society is also continuing its virtual watch party and Quizzo challenge series on Saturday, August 29 with 1989’s BILL AND TED’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE. The Quizzo portion will begin at 7:30pm on Discord App. You can open the Discord App on either your Desktop, Laptop, iPad, or Smartphone. You may need to register a name or email to login and play along. “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure” is available to rent via iTunes, Amazon Video, and additional platforms – click here to see rental options. Be sure to start exactly at 8pm to watch along, and keep the party and chatter going on Discord during the film! And check the app around 9:30pm for the answers to Quizzo and the winner reveal. This is a FREE event hosted by PFS though donations are welcome and appreciated! You can make a donation at Filmadelphia.org/Donate.
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia has a learning series for ages 12 and up through the month of August entitled Black August Weekly. The series is composed of 1-hour & 15-minute Zoom experiences on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30 am – 11:45 am, and features content Black Liberation movements that reached their turning points in the month of August. This week’s lessons are: Tues. August 25 – The Year of Africa (1960) and Thurs. August 27- The MOVE Bombing (1985). Single session tickets are $12.00/per person and $10.00/ per person if you are purchasing two or more. Get additional info and purchase tix at the official website here.
- Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has shared its Hall of Fame gallery featuring more than three decades of speeches and performances from past induction ceremonies. This week it’s spotlighting the show directed by the late Jonathan Demme, the Power of Rock Experience, which reaches into the vaults of the Rock Hall to spotlight its most unforgettable moments. You can relive once-in-a-lifetime performances from inside the Connor Theater and experience the Power of Rock by clicking here.
- Live Nation is still helping you get your music fix with its #LiveFromHome recommendations featuring live albums, exclusive music and curated playlists from many of your favorite artists. You can click here to go to the official website and sign up for daily livestreams from artists around the globe.
- Lastly, our friends at the Wizard World Virtual Experience have released additional schedule info as follows: On Monday, August 24 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT, Favorite Soap Opera stars Winsor Harmon, Bryton James, Cady McClain, Cait Fairbanks, Chase Coleman, Melody Anderson and David Gautreaux return to daytime. On Friday, August 28, Borderlands 3 voice actors Marissa Lenti, Jim Foronda, Martha Harms, Ciaran Strange and Marcus Mauldin begin their group Q&A at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT. Later that day, it’s Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy with Reggie Rolle, Cerina Vincent and Melody Perkins. On Saturday, August 29, screen legends The Six Milion Dollar Man Lee Majors and The Bionic Woman Lindsay Wagner reunite at 2 p.m. ET / 11 a.m. PT. Rounding out the month are Napoleon Dynamite headliners Jon Heder and Efren Ramirez on Monday, August 31, at 4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PT. These live Q&A panels are FREE for fans to view (on Twitch, Facebook, YouTube) and submit questions in text chat. Separately fans may purchase live video chat sessions, recorded videos and autographs. During each session, the celebrities will participate in a free live moderated video Q&A, followed by one-on-one video chats, recorded videos and autographs that are available to purchase. Fans can interact with Wizard Entertainment, obtain additional info and purchase tickets at wizardworld.com/comiccon.
That’s it for now MMT Fam. Until next thought, Thomasena
PS: you check out the trailer for The 24th below. It was also released yesterday on digital and streaming (I watched on Amazon Prime) and is available to rent or purchase.