Happy Sunday MMT Fam! I can’t believe we have been in this pandemic mode for about five months now! I know that some of us have to be outdoors more than others – whether it’s for work, caretaking duties, etc. – but many of us are still doing our best to quarantine and looking for new things to do, so we don’t fall victim to routine fatigue!
With that in mind, I will do my best at continuing to find and share low cost and free things that you can do from home, or at a safe distance when leaving your home – like that drive-in recommendation/giveaway that’s up from a few days ago! PS – there’s another drive-in giveaway coming next weekend, so stay tuned!
And I’m still sharing events and cool posts on Instagram and/or the MMT Facebook page throughout the week, so hit those hyperlinks, give me a follow, and don’t forget to share the wealth with others!
- The African American Film Critics Association (AAFCA) and Quibi are inviting you to watch the FYC screening for #FreeRayshawn. The Antoine Fuqua executive produced series stars Laurence Fishburne, Jasmine Cephas Jones and Stephan James, as Rayshawn Morris – a man who gets into an all-day standoff with members of the New Orleans police force. Per synopsis, he’s desperate to protect his family, while proving his innocence, he turns to social media to clear his name with the help of one sympathetic cop, Steven Poincy (Fishburne). You can check out a trailer below. The AAFCA offer is good through August 12 by clicking here and using code: AAFCA2020. Quibi is also offering a free 14-day trial to check out its shows, and then plan prices are $4.99 and up. Click here to get additional information and subscribe.
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia has a learning series for ages 12 and up through the month of August entitled Black August Weekly. The series is composed of 1-hour & 15-minute Zoom experiences on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30 am – 11:45 am, and features content Black Liberation movements that reached their turning points in the month of August. Single session tickets are $12.00/per person and $10.00/ per person if you are purchasing two or more. Get additional info and purchase tix at the official website here.
- Our friends at the Philadelphia Film Society are continuing virtual streaming offerings of newly released and recommended films, including titles like “The Fight” (discussed right here on MMT), “John Lewis: Good Trouble,” “Creem: Amerian’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll Magazine,” and “Amulet.” PFS is also highly recommending its “Bunk Mate” pick of the week Moonrise Kingdom (2012), which tells the tale of a pair of young lovers who flee their New England town, which causes a local search party to fan out to find them. You can click here to check out all the places you can rent or buy the film and get additional information about all these events and more at the PFS website here.
- Live Nation is still helping you get your music fix with its #LiveFromHome recommendations featuring live albums and curated playlists from many of your favorite artists. You can click here to go to the official website and sign up for daily livestreams from artists around the globe.
- Lastly, our friends at the Wizard World Virtual Experience have released additional schedule info as follows: · Tuesday, August 11, Hallmark Movies, Julie Benz, Amy Acker, Arielle Kebbel, Brant Daugherty, David Alpay, Cerina Vincent, Marshall Williams · 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT
· Sunday, August 16, “Legends of Tomorrow,” Caity Lotz, Brandon Routh, Jes Macallan, Adam Tsekhman, Courtney Ford · 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT
· Saturday, August 22, “Smallville,” Tom Welling, Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, Erica Durance, Laura Vandervoort, Sam Witwer · 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT. These live Q&A panels are FREE for fans to view (on Twitch, Facebook, YouTube) and submit questions in text chat. Separately fans may purchase live video chat sessions, recorded videos and autographs. During each session, the celebrities will participate in a free live moderated video Q&A, followed by one-on-one video chats, recorded videos and autographs that are available to purchase. Fans can interact with Wizard Entertainment, obtain additional info and purchase tickets at wizardworld.com/comiccon.
Okay, that’s it for now family. Until next thought, Thomasena