Happy Sunday MMT Family! Well, last month we celebrated #FranklinDay and tomorrow, August 10, we are asking that you join us in celebrating the birthday of another favorite Peanuts character – that adorable and hilarious animated beagle Snoopy!
Cartoon beagle Snoopy is a sidekick and star of the long-running newspaper comic strip Peanuts, created by Charles Schulz. Snoopy was the oddball, manic pet of lovable loser Charlie Brown. Originally a minor figure, Snoopy grew to become the strip’s best-known character. Snoopy, is the confident, totally-in-control, cool character we all in our hearts (and fantasies) want to be. This year we celebrate the contributions the “Snoopy” character has made in entertainment, and here’s how you can help:
- Watch the below video of The Peanuts Movie director Steve Martino showing how he draws Snoopy.
- Post a picture of your penciled (or penned!) puppy to your favorite social channel using hashtag #DrawSnoopy
We’d love to see your work, so tag us as well (on Facebook MusicMoviesThoughts or Thomasena’s handles @ledfarr on both Instagram and Twitter). We may come up with a prize or two for the best drawings!
Check out these other fun facts about Snoopy below and feel free to share any of your fond Peanuts/Snoopy memories in the comments! THE PEANUTS MOVIE opens in theaters everywhere on November 6.
“Snoopy” Fun Facts
- Snoopy is a genuinely happy dog. He also loves sleeping, and being lazy. Snoopy loves root beer and pizza, hates coconut candy, gets claustrophobia in tall weeds, and is deathly afraid of icicles dangling over his doghouse.
- Snoopy has a broad and vivid fantasy life, often delving into many alter egos.
- Snoopy also has seven siblings, Spike, Belle, Marbles, Olaf, Andy, and two others named in the special Snoopy’s Reunion as Molly and Rover .
- Snoopy first appeared in the October 4, 1950 strip, two days after the strip began. Schulz originally planned to call him “Sniffy”