Hey MMT Fam! I feel so blessed to greet you again in this new year. The end of 2016 was a rough one, and I’m praying for a greater, and smoother, 2017 for both you and myself! I haven’t done it in a while, but wanted to give a heads up this year for the most popular award ceremonies – so you don’t miss out on celebrating and cheering for your faves. Here’s a ceremony list with dates, times and channels:
- Golden Globe Awards– the 74th annual show airs this Sunday, January 8th at 8pm EST on NBC. Talk show host/comedian Jimmy Fallon takes over the ceremony as host for the first time.
- People’s Choice Awards– the 2017 show, which honors the best in television, film and music according to public vote, will air Wednesday, January 18th at 9pm EST on CBS.
- Trumpet Awards – celebrating its 25th Anniversary in 2017, The Trumpet Awards, which honors African-American achievement, will world première on Bounce TV on Sunday, Jan. 29 at 9:00 p.m. (ET). Actor/comedian Deon Cole and actor Nicole Ari Parker are scheduled to host. (updated 1/10/17)
- Screen Actors Guild Awards– the 23rd annual SAG awards will air live Sunday, January 29th on both TBS and TNT at 8pm EST, with the 53rd Lifetime Achievement Award honors going to the legendary Lily Tomlin.
- NAACP Image Awards– the 48th annual ceremony, celebrating outstanding achievements of people of color in the arts, with hosting duties by actor/comedian Anthony Anderson will air live on Saturday, February 11th at 9pm EST on TV One.
- Grammy Awards– the 59th annual ceremony will air Sunday, February 12th at 8pm EST on CBS, with hosting duties going to first-timer, comedian/talk show host James Corden. The Lifetime Achievement Award 2017 honorees are Shirley Caesar, Ahmad Jamal, Charley Pride, Jimmie Rodgers, Nina Simone, Sly Stone, and the Velvet Underground.
- The American Black Film Festival (ABFF) Honors – airing on BET for the second year in a row, this is an annual awards gala which pays tribute to individuals that have made distinguished contributions to American culture through the world of film and television, as well as those who champion diversity and inclusion in Hollywood. This year’s ceremony will air on February 22 at 8pm EST, and will be hosted by actor Regina Hall. (updated 2/9/17).
- Academy Awards (Oscars)– the 89th annual Oscars will air Sunday, February 26th at 8:30pm EST on ABC. The ceremony this year will be hosted by first-timer, comedian/talk show host Jimmy Kimmel.
- iHeartRadio Music Awards – is scheduled for Sunday, March 5, 2017, on TBS, TNT and TruTV at 8pm EST.
- Billboard Music Awards – are set for Sunday, May 21, and will air live at 8pm EST on ABC.
Okay MMT Fam, that’s the scoop through May. I hope this list serves as an ample heads up for those who enjoy the awards season as much as I do! Leave a comment or two and let me know what you’ll watch and who you’re rooting for this year!
Until next thought, Thomasena
PS – I couldn’t locate current info for the 2017 BET Honors ceremony, but will update this post asap when I find out!
Happy New Year to you also. And again thanks for all you do, keeping us updated and informed. And for the passes you allowed us this past year.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you Linda for your support!
Thanks for sending that out. I’m an awards show junkie and this really helped!
Sent from my iPhone
LikeLiked by 1 person
Awesome! Glad it helps you out ThatMovieDude! Happy New Year.