It’s a New Year Music Movie Family and I’m so glad finally to greet you in it! I had a fabulous time during the holidays with family and friends, and am on the tail end of a very relaxing vacation. So, now that I am relaxed, time to get on with the new! And what signifies the movie and music new year cycle more than awards season? To prepare you for what’s ahead, here is a rundown on the most popular award ceremonies and their respective airdate:
- People’s Choice Awards – the 39th annual show, which honors the best in television, film and music, will air this Wednesday, January 9th at 9pm EST on CBS. Hosting for the second year is Kaley Cuoco from the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory.
- Golden Globe Awards – the 70th annual show airs this Sunday, January 13th at 8pm EST on NBC. Hosted by Tina Fey (30 Rock) and Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation), highlights to include actor, director and producer Jodie Foster (Silence of the Lambs, The Beaver) receiving the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime achievement award.
- Stellar Music Awards – the 28th annual show celebrating the best in gospel music will air for the first time live nationally on Saturday, January 19th 8pm EST on GMC (Gospel Music Channel). This year’s ceremony will be co-hosted by multi-talented gospel artist/producer and host of BET’s Sunday Best Kirk Franklin and the sensational gospel duo and WE tv reality stars Mary Mary, who lead the nominations with nine. Highlights to include a lifetime achievement award presentation to gospel great Kurt Carr, and a tribute to the late great Inez Andrews.
- Screen Actors Guild Awards – the 19th annual SAG awards will air live Sunday, January 27th on both TBS and TNT at 8pm EST, with lifetime achievement award honors going to legendary actor Dick Van Dyke.
- NAACP Image Awards – the 44th annual ceremony, celebrating the best performances and outstanding achievements of people of color in the arts, will air live Friday, February 1st at 8pm EST on NBC.
- Grammy Awards – airing Sunday, February 10th at 8pm EST on CBS, rapper/actor LL Cool J (NCIS Los Angeles) will host this 55th annual ceremony where six male artists/groups (Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Frank Ocean included) are currently tied with six nominations each. Um, ladies thoughts? Where’s Adele and Mary J. when you need them? 😉
- Academy Awards – and last, but certainly not least, is the 85th annual Oscars airing Sunday, February 24th at 7pm EST on ABC. This year’s show will be hosted by first timer actor, producer, animator Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, The Cleveland Show). Highlights will include a planned tribute celebrating the 50th anniversary of the James Bond franchise.
Alright music movie lovers, that’s the rundown through February. And you know the drill by now, so stop back by and let me know your thoughts about any of these shows :).
Until next thought, Thomasena